District launches second annual Safety Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

District 220’s second week long safety campaign called “Safety 220” launches September 23, 2019.

“Every student during that week will participate in drills, activities, and different safety measures as far as just getting to know different people,” Craig Winkelman, Assistant Superintendent of K-12 Schools and Operations, said. 

At the beginning of each school day, all students will view a short video that has a “Safety 220 Tip of the Day”. Each tip corresponds with a safety theme for that day of the week. In addition to a safety tip for students, each video also has one tip for parents. 

The topics for each day include:

MONDAY, Sept. 23: Emphasis on Relationships

TUESDAY, Sept. 24: Weather Emergencies

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 25: Responding to Threats

THURSDAY, Sept. 26: School Evacuations

FRIDAY, Sept. 27: Transportation Safety

As part of the week long campaign, district 220 will partner with Barrington Police and Fire to host a School Safety Community Night on Tuesday, September 25 at 7pm in the BHS auditorium.

During a crisis situation, it is important for our district meeting stakeholders to work together and we want to make sure we’re providing our community members with the appropriate information to facilitate that,” Winkelman said.

The district has worked very hard over the years to keep putting more security into place throughout all district 220 schools.

500 Internal Server Error- 澳门赌场注册

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

This year, all the teachers and staff have a key to every single door in the district and there are new bolts on the inside of every classroom/office. In case there’s an intruder or something similar, the teachers and staff can easily lock the doors from the inside. 

“So you can just be inside the classroom, lock the door, and you’re done. Another thing is, Mr. Hawrysko, is now a full time safety coordinator for the district. He is full time focused on security for all the buildings; elementary schools, middle schools, and high school,” Winkelman said.